Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Make a Wish




For anyone who has ever planned a wedding, you may be able to relate to the fact that the in the last two months, the planning that seemed super fun in the beginning starts to get really tedious...even boring. I love the small details, but some of these little things are driving me crazy. Between table placements, waiting on people to respond in a timely manner, finalizing the draft for the ceremony, getting all of the bridesmaid/groomsmen/parent gifts, etc., my Target, Michaels, and Crate and Barrel shopping trips have been helping me keep my sanity. Today, I tried to kill two birds with one stone. I did something fun, while also not spending a ton of money and--- guess what-- it is for my wedding! I am finishing one of the details! YEAH!

My wedding has a "City girl meets country boy" theme and is turning out to be more "chic rustic." Something that my mom suggested that we do is a "Wishing Tree." If you have never heard of it before, you're not alone, as I had to research it myself. I did some research and found out that it is a Dutch tradition. Although I am not Dutch, I must say that I like their wedding idea. So, I picked up a few branches, a pot (which was on clearance), rocks, and a green Styrofoam ball from Michael's so that I could make a tree. I also got a piece of scrap wood from Home Depot, some neutral colored paint and used some of the acrylic paint I already had and decided to make a sign to tell people what to do. I posted a few pictures of the process and the finished product. It was super easy and really fun. I can imagine how it all is going to come together. If you want to take a break and do something fun and creative, you could make a decorative wishing tree. You could make your house guests leave a wish every time they come over. It would also be a perfect centerpiece for a fall party. Take a vacation and do something for your home, yourself, or a friend.


How-to make a wishing tree

- buy a pot
- buy a styrofoam ball to fit in the pot
- buy branches (oak or birch)
- cut off top of the styrofoam ball
- carefully place the branches in the styrofoam. Make sure that the branches are securely placed in the styrofoam.
- cover the exposed styrofoam with rocks.
- have your guest hang a wish on the tree

Here was the final product at our wedding!


No comments:

Post a Comment